Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EndarireFoundling and the Shadow Magic mod
To clarify:  Does Foundling use the same Shadow Magic rules that the Shadow Magic mod does?  I assumed so, but I've not tested it.
No, Shadow Magic mod was released years after Foundling and it's only for EE games, while Foundling is for both BG2 and BG2EE; the mod uses a bit more simple system. Plus, what Foundling use is a mix of Shadow Weave spells and Shadow Magic. So nope, Shadow Magic mod and Foundling mod use different approaches, different spells, etc.
However, I encourage you to try both of them, as Shadow Magic mod is a really great addition.
What say you to making a version of Foundling that, if Shadow Magic has already been installed, prompts the user at install time to use the Shadow Magic mod's version of the mechanics?  Those that want the old Foundling mechanics can have them, and they would be compatible with EE and non-EE games, but the "Shadow Magic Mod Foundling" would be EE-only.
(09-22-2020, 11:52 AM)Lava Wrote: (...) Foundling use is a mix of Shadow Weave spells and Shadow Magic. (...)
I think you missed that part. That is intentional and using both kinds of magic is mentioned in the dialogues. Also, it was all discussed already: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/co...nt_1007869

Replacing the original kit would mean much content is lost, some additions (like additional spells he may learn later) stop making sense. There are talks triggered by picking specific HLA - those would also be purged. 

This mod is complete. If we decide - with AionZ - that we want to make some kind of combination, then maybe, but neither of those mods was written to be used the way you describe it. For now, I have different priorities. Sorry.
Hi, I'm wondering if Foundling have some crossmod banters with your other BG2 NPC mods, like Verr'Sza and Hephernaan ?
There is some crossmod with Sirene and Will in this mod (if any of those were installed before Foundling)
Other crossmod talks are installed via G3 Crossmod Banter Pack. The up to date list is here:
https://gibberlings3.github.io/Documenta...odbg2.html

It's been since I wrote any crossmod talks...
Thank you ! I forgot to check Crossmod Mod.

It will help me plan my next evil parties in BG2.

I was thinking about a Dark Moon monk charname, Viconia, Vienxay the Shadowmage and Foundling for a party themed around shadows, with the help of Dorn and Hephernaan for some fiendish support.
Sounds like a cool theme! Enjoy your new run! Smile
Hi Lava,

thank you for this great mod. The portrait is really nice and the NPC is "refreshing" as dark magic could be...

By the way, on oBG2, the foundling mod as some issues:
  • LEVIMM.itm is missing in oBG2 for L#fogra.cre and L#fogr2.cre
  • l#guar.cre had an non existent weapon on oBG2 : B3-12.itm
  • qd_multiclass.tpa should not be installed on oBG2
Thank you!

Does any of those mentioned issues breaks the game / prevents the mod from installing?
None of those issues prevent from installing the mod.

Concerning the 'qd_multiclass.tpa' file, I have quote it before playing with your mod, so I don't know if it breaks something... However, it makes a mess with all the vanilla clab files on obg2.

Concerning the rest, it is clearly not game breaking. It as just some inconsistencies:
- the Misty guardian (L#guar.cre) as no weapon making her a little bit easier to fight.
- For LEVIMM.itm : i don't know what this item does - If it is protection against level drain, ring95 already do this... so it makes no difference at all

By the way, I don't know if it is intentionnal but, you could also use the animation of the 'HAG_NIGHT' on ee or the 'NIGHT_HAG' on oBG2 with Infinity animation (component 100) for L#fogr2.cre - witch is a grey HAG
Thanks for additonal info!
Hi Lava. I really enjoyed Foundling: Between the Shades! I played v5.3 on BG2EE 2.6.6.0 and it ran flawlessly. Great, unique and challenging ending! I like that you have to do his quest immediately and that you can't park him somewhere (and then who knows when the player will actually do his quest). Lovely new maps and really great music!

No bugs, but I have a few minor suggestions for your consideration:
Can walk "through" the boulders that are in the snow in area L#FOU1
Clickable area of the portal (to take you into the final area) is small and was finicky to find the right click spot.
Foundlings main quest did not move into the "Done quest" list when I completed it. It stayed in the current quest list.
Ivory Witch's cave: the candle and the "fire font" in the middle graphic has a lot of black around them (at least on my machine).

Thanks again for another really good mod!
Thank you! I may look into this, but these won't be high on my list, because there are some updates that require sooner attention as they may cause "buggy situations".

However, I am glad you liked Foundling so much! Smile

Cheers!